Position: Prep Cook/Dishwasher
Job Type: Full time, contract
Start Date: June 25, 2021
End Date: August 19th, 2021 (living on site is required)
Camp Shalom is one of the oldest Jewish/Zionist camping experiences for 7-13 year olds in Canada! Priding itself on specialized activities, integrated informal Jewish programming, Kosher meals, and the best Zionist camping experience around, Camp Shalom celebrates doing what it does best – giving our campers the best summer experience of their lives. As a junior camp, Camp Shalom is able to cater the day-to-day activities, programming, and facilities to the appropriate age groups.
We are looking for an ambitious Prep Cook/Dishwasher to assist in the preparation of delicious Kosher dishes in the kitchen. You’ll perform routine kitchen tasks such as setting up workstations and ingredients, unloading of food shipments and general kitchen maintenance with regards to meal preparation each day. You are able to follow instructions as well as all health and safety rules in the kitchen, including COVID-19 protocols in place. The ideal candidate will also be able to function in a fast-paced, busy environment as a part of a team.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Follow the prep list created by chefs to plan duties
- Label and stock all ingredients on shelves so they can be organized and easily accessible
- Prepare cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, cutting meat etc.,
- Undertake basic cooking duties such as reducing sauces, parboiling food etc.
- Prepare simple dishes such as salads, entrees etc.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash etc. after each meal
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly
- Comply with nutrition and sanitation guidelines
- Perform other kitchen duties as assigned
- Proven experience as prep cook
- Manual dexterity able to operate cutting tools and kitchen utensils
- Knowledge of health and safety rules in a kitchen
- A team player with good communication skills
- Patient with an ability to stay positive under pressure
- Good physical condition and endurance
- High school diploma or equivalent is desirable
Why work at camp?
- Competitive salary
- Room and board
- Beautiful Muskoka setting
- Fast paced and fun environment
- Make a big impact on the camp experience for all campers and staff
To apply: please send resume to email@example.com